Sahara, Morocco, Desert rat challenge
Desert Rat Challenge
On the Desert Rat Challenge you will pick up the necessary skills to function and survive in the vast desert terrain enabling you to cope with the long hot days. Some of the long marches through the dunes will test your calves and the camel leading will test your leadership; man against beast. You will be pushed as a team towards the Atlantic coast, the days will be long and from time to time you will be inspired by your surroundings they are spectacular. There will be 4X4 Jeeps waiting for your arrival ready to take you to a luxurious canvas tent filled with a banquet of foods and drinks, you have made it!!
Below you'll find a list of upcoming expeditions, with the number of places still available, the total cost and the deposit required to secure a place. Should no expeditions be available, please contact us to see what we can do for you. Bespoke personally tailored expeditions can also be accommodated.
Sorry, there are currently no upcoming dates with spaces available for this expedition, but we're probably arranging another as you read this. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements
Requirements & Technicality
This 1 week exercise will be a test mentally and physically you will need to have a moderate fitness level and a strong determination to succeed we find people with a good sense of humor tend to do well.
We require all undertaking this expedition to have a moderate level of fitness. We advise some cardio-vascular training such as running, cycling and some gym work. Previous trekking would also be useful but not necessary. We can provide expedition training and conditioning throughout the UK. Please visit our training pages for further details.
Feel free to call us for advice.
Our Photographer And Photography
Ascent Explorers photographer joins us on many of our UK tours and training programs to capture group images through the program duration. A selection of images are shared on social media sites such as Facebook (please inform us if you individually prefer this not to happen) Digital copies, prints are available upon request.
"Through hardship friendship is built through friendship great things are accomplished."
- Fly to Marrakesh airport.
- Direct transfer to hotel.
- Dinner & overnight
Marrakech Drive to Ouarzazate/Zagora/Oled Dris
- Early morning start, travelling over the High Atlas mountain range, the highest Moroccan road pass (2270m) named Tizi n Tichka Then along the Draa Valley to reach the last Saharan village, after about 8hrs journey, you will be met by the camel owner.
- Once the luggage loaded up, you will then walk for about 1 hour to reach the camp, in the middle of nowhere.
- First Night in the Sahara.
- Diner & overnight Bivi.
- Travel from Oled Driss to Oued Naam
- You leave the oasis of Ouled driss toward to vast desert scenery, between dunes and tamariks to reach the next camp after about 5h30/6h00 walk in sand, stony & arid environment.
- Travel from Oued Naam to Erg Bouguerne
- Walk along a arid plateau covered by tamarisks & spurges to reach by the end of the day the erg called Bougeme.
- Diner & overnight Bivi
- Travel from Erg Bouguerne to Chiguagua – camel day !
- You will walk at the rhythm of the camel that you will lead under supervision of the Berber camel driver , like a camel caravan to reach the great erg of Chegaga. (This is harder than it sounds.)
- Diner & overnight Bivi
- Travel from Erg Chiguagua to Oled dris/Agadir
- Today we will start in the early hours of the morning, you will start a long transfer to reach the coast in 4×4 vehicle. Earth to Sea. Part of road & part in very part local road. It will be a very long day heading towards the coast.
- Travel from Agadir to Marrakech
- After a short transfer you will slog your way for the day along the ocean, To reach the magic finishing line where a luxurious tent will be waiting for you to relax and recover from your experience
- In the Morning you can take a look at the accumulated damage/ toll that your body has taken relax & enjoy the heeling effects of the Atlantic sea .
- Somewhere along the coast south of Essaouira/ Marrakech
- According to your flight departure, transfer direct back to Marrakech airport (about 3hrs journey). We must allow 2 hrs minimum for check in & customs.
Flights & Travel Information
Ascent Explorers understands what adventure travel is all about, which is why we are proud to partner with a specialist team of travel consultants for great deals on flights to all destinations.
We work hard to bring you the best flight routes and tickets, accommodation, travel passes, tours, volunteer placements - the works. Quite simply Ascent is your travel agency; you can shoot any question to our dedicated travel manager and we'll be sure to steer you in the right direction. Along with all the advice that we can offer; there are a few other reasons to book with us:
To book your flights or to discuss your requirements, please call our dedicated flight account manager, Ellie Gilmore on 0808 260 9953
- Unrivalled product knowledge and expertise.
- Passionate about travel – we will do everything they can to create your perfect travel experience.
- We promise to offer you the best airfare solution to suit your needs.
- 24 hour emergency assistance helpline.
- Access to 'Travel Butler', a service which offers you support whilst you are travelling by providing:
- One point of contact – we provide your very own Personal Travel Advisor wherever you may be.
- Free help and advice on ticket date and reschedule changes (free of charge revalidation of ticket where possible).
- Part of a $12billion organisation that offers you security and utilises global buying power to save you money.
Equipment List / Clothing & General Gear
- Good suitable Desert Boots
- Pair of lightweight trousers & Shorts
- Mid layer shirt or fleece
- Fleece or pile jacket
- 2 pairs of thick socks
- Ordinary socks, shirts and underwear
- Warm hat or Balaclava
- Sun Hat
- Cool general clothing
- Alarm Clock/Watch
- Windproof/waterproof shell gear
- Rucksack with at least 50-70 litres
- Trekking Boots
- Good 2 season sleeping bag
- Karrimat or Thermarest
- One litre water bottle
- Pair of good quality sun glasses
- Sunscreen/lip screen factor 20+
- Personal Blister Kit and First Aid
- Head torch plus spare battery
- Duvet jacket
- Pair of telescopic ski poles (very useful)
- Camera, films and batteries
- Transfers between airport-hotel-mountain
- Hotel rooms in Hurghada
- Daily 4×4 off-road transport, fuel and dedicated drivers
- All meals and drinks during the tour (excluding alcohol)
- Experienced UK expedition leader
- Local support staff & guide
- Vehicles to transport luggage, supplies and camps
- Food, cooking kit and gas
- International flights & taxes
- UK transfers
- Personal climbing equipment & clothing
- Personal expenses
- Personal medical and evacuation insurance
- Charges for any additional services
Prices, Booking and Terms & Conditions
The total cost for this expedition is £1050
and a deposit of £250
is required to secure your place.
For further information concerning our Terms and Conditions, bookings and cancellations, please refer to our Terms and Conditions page
(Opens in new window).
Need help? Call: 0208 500 3323 or 07967 589289 (Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm GMT)
Participation & Accuracy Statement
Ascent Explorers recognises that climbing, hill walking and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.
Although it is our intention to operate this itinerary as printed, it may be necessary to make some changes as a result of flight schedules, climatic conditions, limitations of infrastructure or other operational factors. As a consequence, the order or location of overnight stops and the duration of the day may vary from those outlined. You should be aware that some events are beyond our control and we would ask for your patience.
Join This Expedition