Lake Baikal, Irkutsk Recce
Black ice Recce
Below you'll find a list of upcoming expeditions, with the number of places still available, the total cost and the deposit required to secure a place. Should no expeditions be available, please contact us to see what we can do for you. Bespoke personally tailored expeditions can also be accommodated.
Sorry, there are currently no upcoming dates with spaces available for this expedition, but we're probably arranging another as you read this. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements
Requirements & Technicality
Our Photographer And Photography
Ascent Explorers photographer joins us on many of our UK tours and training programs to capture group images through the program duration. A selection of images are shared on social media sites such as Facebook (please inform us if you individually prefer this not to happen) Digital copies, prints are available upon request.
Through hardship, friendship is built. Through friendship, great things can be accomplished.
Day 1. Arrive in Irkutsk. you will be greeted at the airport and taken to Listvyanka village where we will have accommodation at a local guest house & rest after the flight.
Lunch and dinner included.
Day 2. Start from Listvyanka north on foot and pulka sleds, Gas & food will be supplied, final kit checks before & briefing before we move off, the Lake conditions vary from place to place and so we will keep going until we spot a suitable location to setup our tents.
Day 3-4-5-6-7. Our aim is to head towards the Olkhon gait strait. Impossible to say where exactly you will spend nights as the ice conditions are unpredictable and how fast you will move through the terrain the majority of your nights will be in your tents.
Day 8 After breakfast we will drive from Olkhon island back to Irkutsk.
Lake Baikal is in a rift valley, created by the Baikal Rift Zone, where the Earth’s crust is slowly pulling apart. At 636 km (395 mi) long and 79 km (49 mi) wide, Lake Baikal has the largest surface area of any freshwater lake in Asia, at 31,722 km2 (12,248 sq mi), and is the deepest lake in the world at 1,642 m (5,387 ft). The bottom of the lake is 1,186.5 m (3,893 ft) below sea level,
Flights & Travel Information
Ascent Explorers understands what adventure travel is all about, which is why we are proud to partner with a specialist team of travel consultants for great deals on flights to all destinations.
We work hard to bring you the best flight routes and tickets, accommodation, travel passes, tours, volunteer placements - the works. Quite simply Ascent is your travel agency; you can shoot any question to our dedicated travel manager and we'll be sure to steer you in the right direction. Along with all the advice that we can offer; there are a few other reasons to book with us:
To book your flights or to discuss your requirements, please call our dedicated flight account manager, Ellie Gilmore on 0808 260 9953
- Unrivalled product knowledge and expertise.
- Passionate about travel – we will do everything they can to create your perfect travel experience.
- We promise to offer you the best airfare solution to suit your needs.
- 24 hour emergency assistance helpline.
- Access to 'Travel Butler', a service which offers you support whilst you are travelling by providing:
- One point of contact – we provide your very own Personal Travel Advisor wherever you may be.
- Free help and advice on ticket date and reschedule changes (free of charge revalidation of ticket where possible).
- Part of a $12billion organisation that offers you security and utilises global buying power to save you money.
- Meeting at the airport in Irkutsk
- Driving to Listvyanka village on a van.
- 1 overnight in Listvyanka in a guesthouse (TWIN rooms), meals in guest house included.
- 1 overnight in a guesthouse at the Olkhon gais strait (TWIN rooms), meals in guest house included.
- Registration (required by Russian migration services)
- Camp food for 6 days on the ice and gasoline for gas stoves for the whole team
- Pull out from Olkhon island to Irkutsk on a van
- Rent of a winter tent and a gas stove.
- Satellite Phone & PLB system
- Guide services on the route
- My services as a fixer.
Prices, Booking and Terms & Conditions
The total cost for this expedition is £
and a deposit of £
is required to secure your place.
For further information concerning our Terms and Conditions, bookings and cancellations, please refer to our Terms and Conditions page
(Opens in new window).
Need help? Call: 0208 500 3323 or 07967 589289 (Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm GMT)
Participation & Accuracy Statement
Ascent Explorers recognises that climbing, hill walking and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.
Although it is our intention to operate this itinerary as printed, it may be necessary to make some changes as a result of flight schedules, climatic conditions, limitations of infrastructure or other operational factors. As a consequence, the order or location of overnight stops and the duration of the day may vary from those outlined. You should be aware that some events are beyond our control and we would ask for your patience.
Join This Expedition