Cold Fox: Lake Baikal full 600 km traverse
Siberian Ultra - Marathon
This race was developed to push the human body physically & mentally to the limit a 379 mile Ultra-Marathon across the black ice of lake Baikal should do it !
The primary mode of transport is to ski with a pulk although there will be points where you will need to use crampons or possibly snow shoe your way across this massive landscape, maximum team size of 3 minimum of 2 , special exceptions can be made for experienced solo operators.
Below you'll find a list of upcoming expeditions, with the number of places still available, the total cost and the deposit required to secure a place. Should no expeditions be available, please contact us to see what we can do for you. Bespoke personally tailored expeditions can also be accommodated.
Sorry, there are currently no upcoming dates with spaces available for this expedition, but we're probably arranging another as you read this. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements
Requirements & Technicality
This is not a standard planned tour this is a true expedition it will be a challenge and some unpredictable situations are very possible.
there could be some unforeseen expenses. And I think it is important to warn our members about this.
Going back to past experience here is a list of most common situation where people had to pay extra.
1. Pull out – impossible to say how much that could cost since it depends on the location. It could be 150 USD if the pullot takes place close to a main road so I just have tp send a cab. But in case it is far away in a remote deserted area I’ll have to send a hovercraft and this will cost a lot.
2. Extra nights in hotel (in case the person is pullled out earlier or stays longer) and has to stay in Irkutsk awaiting for his flight. In case the ice conditions are perfect and the team is well fit and you finish the expedition earlier than planned you will have a choice either to stay in a tent on the ice waiting for the due time or reserve extra nights in hotel and pay for that.
3. Individual transfers on arrival and departure (in case the person arrives or departs not with the main group). It happens mostly when a person has pulled out and wants to go back home earlier.
4. Guide asssistance. Also happens mostly when a person has finished the trip earlier than the main group and needs guide assistance for ex to change his ticket.
Of course there could be other situations but these were the most common.
Our Photographer And Photography
Ascent Explorers photographer joins us on many of our UK tours and training programs to capture group images through the program duration. A selection of images are shared on social media sites such as Facebook (please inform us if you individually prefer this not to happen) Digital copies, prints are available upon request.
Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live. Chained by his servitude he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom. Only a person who risks is free. The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; and the realist adjusts the sails
Day 1. Arrive in Irkutsk. your team will meet you at the airport, we will drive right away to Listvyanka village. The bus will just drop off the team at Listvyanka your accommodation will be at the guesthouse plenty of rest is recommended after your flight. Lunch and dinner included. Please note that early check in is not included.
Day 2. Participants will spend this day for adjusting their equipment and training on the ice (putting up tents on the ice, testing their pulka sleds etc). If someone is missing some of the equipment they can hire a car and drive to Irkutsk to get it. Breakfast lunch and dinner in guest house included.
Day 3. Start from Listvyanka north. I suggest moving not further than 2-3 km from the shore. In case the wind is very strong or someone gets soaked in water, one can find shelter on the shore and make fire. Usually you hike from cape to cape.
From Day 3 till Day 6 Make it from Listvyanka to Peschanaya bay. On some days it could be 40 km but on other it could be just 10 km if you encounter a lot of cracks or ice fields or a strong head wind. And since you never know what the ice conditions will be I do not describe every day of your hike and overnight destinations – it’s just useless.
From Day 6 till Day 11 From Peschanaya bay via Buguldeika village and the Olkhon Gait strait to the middle of Olkhon island – the village of Khuzhir. Average walking distance 30 km per day.
Day 12 Spend a day on the island in a guesthouse. Get resupply food and fuel and maybe some equipment. Rest and sauna. Easy excursions. Night in a guesthouse. I will provide a small truck to bring the supplies to the island by you need to buy those supplies in advance and leave them in Irkutsk with me.
Day 13. The people who came for the short version will travel back to Irkutsk by mini buses. Others set off to the north.
Finish on day 25. There are no villages and no roads in the northern part of the lake. Overnight in a guesthouse in Severobaikalsk city. Dinner included. Average walking distance 30 – 35 km.
Day 26. Breakfast lunch and dinner included. Transfer to the railroad station to catch an evening train to Irkutsk. Spend 2 nights in a train (total 36 hours).
Day 27. Because it is 36 hours you will spend this day on the train
Day 28. Arrive in Irkutsk early morning. Transfer to the airport (or else you can spend one more night in Irkutsk and fly back to Moscow next morning).
Lake Baikal is in a rift valley, created by the Baikal Rift Zone, where the Earth’s crust is slowly pulling apart. At 636 km (395 mi) long and 79 km (49 mi) wide, Lake Baikal has the largest surface area of any freshwater lake in Asia, at 31,722 km2 (12,248 sq mi), and is the deepest lake in the world at 1,642 m (5,387 ft). The bottom of the lake is 1,186.5 m (3,893 ft) below sea level,
Flights & Travel Information
Ascent Explorers understands what adventure travel is all about, which is why we are proud to partner with a specialist team of travel consultants for great deals on flights to all destinations.
We work hard to bring you the best flight routes and tickets, accommodation, travel passes, tours, volunteer placements - the works. Quite simply Ascent is your travel agency; you can shoot any question to our dedicated travel manager and we'll be sure to steer you in the right direction. Along with all the advice that we can offer; there are a few other reasons to book with us:
To book your flights or to discuss your requirements, please call our dedicated flight account manager, Ellie Gilmore on 0808 260 9953
- Unrivalled product knowledge and expertise.
- Passionate about travel – we will do everything they can to create your perfect travel experience.
- We promise to offer you the best airfare solution to suit your needs.
- 24 hour emergency assistance helpline.
- Access to 'Travel Butler', a service which offers you support whilst you are travelling by providing:
- One point of contact – we provide your very own Personal Travel Advisor wherever you may be.
- Free help and advice on ticket date and reschedule changes (free of charge revalidation of ticket where possible).
- Part of a $12billion organisation that offers you security and utilises global buying power to save you money.
|Tent 1 Hileberg Keron 3
|Sled Tent Bag (Bivvi Bag)
|Spare Poles (Keron3) – 2 x Poles
|Spare Poles (Keron4) – 1 x Length, 1 x Odd Length, 2 x Sleeve
|Ice Screws with handles Black Diamond Turbo 10cm + Flute
|Snow pegs 9″
|Shovel Black Diamond
|Ice Axe grivel Mont Blanc
|Batteries 32 Charge, 4 Camera, 10 MP3 + Bag
|2nd Iridium Phone + Peli Case
|First Aid Separate List – End
|Repair Kit Separate List – End
|Maps & Docs
|Throw Bag Home Made
|Red Zip Bag
|Fuel Containers 5 Litre (1 Funnel)
|Canon S3 15/Tele/Wide/Case
|Blue Barrels 4 x Small, 2 x Big (Cargo)
|Blokka Bag – 6 People
|Ice Spike Tool (Camp)
|Group Wax Kit
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Meeting the main group at the airport in Irkutsk
- Driving to Listvyanka village on a bus. A separate truck for equipment will be provided. No transport in Listvyanka included.
- 2 overnights in Listvyanka in a guesthouse (TWIN rooms), meals in guest house included.
- Registration (required by Russian migration services)
- 2 nights on Olkhon island in a log guesthouse (TWIN rooms), meals in guest house included.
- A truck to Olkhon island to deliver the food and fuel for the second half of the expedition.
- 1 overnight in Severobaikalsk city in a guesthouse, (TWIN rooms) meals included.
- Transfers in Severobaikalsk: from the ice to the guesthouse and from the guesthouse to the railroad station.
- Train ticket back to Irkutsk. 2-nd class, 4 pax in a cabin. Bulky equipment will be delivered in a separate cargo carriage.
- Transfer from the railroad station to the airport (last night in Irkutsk not included).
- Personal emergency Insurance
- Extra Hotel nights for pulling out of the race early
- International flights
Prices, Booking and Terms & Conditions
The total cost for this expedition is £1850
and a deposit of £200
is required to secure your place.
For further information concerning our Terms and Conditions, bookings and cancellations, please refer to our Terms and Conditions page
(Opens in new window).
Need help? Call: 0208 500 3323 or 07967 589289 (Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm GMT)
Participation & Accuracy Statement
Ascent Explorers recognises that climbing, hill walking and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death. Participants in these activities should be aware of and accept these risks and be responsible for their own actions and involvement.
Although it is our intention to operate this itinerary as printed, it may be necessary to make some changes as a result of flight schedules, climatic conditions, limitations of infrastructure or other operational factors. As a consequence, the order or location of overnight stops and the duration of the day may vary from those outlined. You should be aware that some events are beyond our control and we would ask for your patience.
Join This Expedition